1. What is a Student Visa?
    Answer – Depending on the purpose of visit, India offers various kinds of visas. Student Visa is a visa specifically for the students wanting to come to India for education purpose. Generally, Student Visas are issued for the duration of the academic course of study or for a period of five years whichever is less, based on letters of admission from Universities/recognized colleges or educational institutions in India.

  1. What are the pre-requisites for procuring a Student Visa?
    Answer – In order to apply or be eligible for a Student Visa, you need to conform to the following conditions: a) If you are on Government of India scholarships, the respective Indian Missions would be advised by Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) to issue a regular Student Visa after your admission in an Indian university/Institute is confirmed.
    b) If you are coming as a self-financing student, you need to produce confirmed letters of admission (Acceptance Letter) of LPU.
    c) If you are coming as a research student, synopsis of the research project countersigned by the sponsoring institution in India along with letter of approval and No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the concerned Ministries in India should be submitted for necessary visa. Note: Processing of applications for research may take about three months.

  1. Do students from Bhutan or Nepal need to have Student Visa for studying at Indian Universities?
    Answer – Nationals of Nepal and Bhutan can enter India without a visa. (Note: Nepalese nationals need a Visa if entering India from China).

  1. Can I get the visa even if I don’t have a confirmed admission letter?
    Answer – If you are not having confirmation letters of admission from a university or an institution you can get Provisional Student Visa by the Indian Missions abroad, based on provisional letters of admissions. However Provisional Student Visa is valid for 3 months. Within these 3 months, your admission needs to be confirmed otherwise you will have to leave India. No extension of Provisional Student Visa is permitted.

  1. Are there rules and regulations that I need to conform to while applying for Visa?
    Answer – Yes, while applying for the visa you need to keep in mind the following regulations:
    Passport valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of intended departure from India should accompany the visa application.
    Students holding other nationalities (other than the country where applying for visa), should submit proof of long-term (at least three years)/ permanent residence in the country (where applying).
    or citizen of other countries, a reference has to be made to their country of residence for which an additional fee is applicable and will involve extra processing time. Please refrain from making inquiries about the status of application during this time.

  1. From where can one avail a student Visa?
    Answer – Student Visas can be obtained from any of the Indian Missions. You can get a Student Visa from Indian Missions abroad, provided you have confirmed admission to a course in a reputed/recognized institute in India.

  1. How much is the students Visa fee?
    Answer – The Student Visa fee depends on the nationality of the passport holder and type/duration of visa applied. Generally, the amount ranges from $14 to $118 but the students are advised to check the fees by contacting the Indian mission/embassy in their home country.

  1. What are the formalities that international students need to do on arrival?
    Answer – International students holding Student Visa of more than 180 days are required to register themselves with the local Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO) within 14 days of arrival.

  1. What is FRRO registration and how can we register?
    Answer – It is mandatory for all international students to register themselves with local FRRO, within 14 days of their arrival in India (arrival date mentioned on Visa), from 15th day late registration fee will be charged by FRRO Office. Student has to register him/her self by using the link e-FRRO Home (indianfrro.gov.in) or http://indianfrro.gov.in/frro

  1. Can a registered student, who has completed his graduation, get visa extension for Post Graduate courses by FRRO/FRO?
    Answer – Yes, a registered student, who has completed graduation, can apply for visa extension to pursue a post graduate course from concerned FRRO/FRO cum Superintendent of Police provided he produces an authentic certificate from his/her institution. The International office of LPU helps the students in the registration process.